Monday, July 1, 2013

The Summer of Color: Week Four . . .


"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." 
- Rabindranath Tagore


Welcome to Week Four of The Summer of Color . . . .

I'm sitting at a busy Starbucks as I write this. I'm on vacation for a few more days and using the internet here to get our new week up and going. It occurs to me that this bustling coffee house - with the lines of people waiting for their morning jolt, the friends meeting up to gab over their passions and the somewhat frenzied (albeit caffeinated) energy of everyone meeting up for the same thing - is a bit like our colorful journey together. We laugh, love and create in a way that has come to remind me of a Summer Camp of sorts - where friends old and new come together for a common goal - to get the most that they can out of their time spent together.

I'm proud to see to see our community continue to grow, to see new people join in each week, and to see all of the support that springs from both our Facebook group and Flickr pool. There are #SummerofColor and #SummerofColor3 hash tags being used in various social outlets and I've even seen activity on Pinterest. That's a whole lotta sharing and inspiration and for that I'm incredibly grateful. 

Speaking of grateful, if you haven't done so already, I highly encourage you to add your work to our Flickr pool. If you don't have a Flickr account (and want one), you can sign up for free here. As we head into our last 3 weeks together, I'd love to see our artwork bust at the seams of that site as well. I have a feeling we'll reach over a thousand pictures before our Summer play date comes to an end. . . .

Now, on to Week Four:
We'll be working on our 4th two-color combination that a huge 24% of us choose. I'm personally thrilled to see this elegant combination win out and can't wait to see what you come up with. Our next prompt is . . .

Charcoal Grey & Pale Pink

To see examples of the color Charcoal Grey, click here
To see examples of the color Pale Pink, click here
To see examples of the combination of the two, click here


Okay, Let's Do It!
Feel free to create anything you'd like, as long as it's based upon the colors of the week. You have until this Sunday (July 7th, 10:00 am, Pacific Daylight Time) to link to the widget below and qualify for the random Charcoal Grey and Pale Pink drawing. Remember, only one link per person please.



Wait! What Can We Win?
Glad you asked. One person will randomly win this bevy of beauties:

{1 piece of metallic silver cardstock, over a dozen pages of vintage sheet music, 3 chip board tea cups, a silver Mixed Media ink pad, 2 rolls of pink Washi tape, 2 gorgeous vintage (each are written on and one is stamped) postcards featuring lovely ladies with a hint of pink, 1 fabulous Fabriano A4 Saddle Stitch art journal, 1 package of decorative trims, some pale pink pom-pom trim, 2 bottles of Stickles glitter, 2 bottles of Liquitex paint and several new and vintage beads and baubles, including one teardrop chandelier piece and several pink and grey Swarovski crystals.}

Whew, that's a cool one! Remember you have until this Sunday morning (10:00 am, PST) to link your work and be considered for the drawing.

And What About Last's Week's Prize Winner?
It just so happens that this lovely winner specifically stated that she wanted to win this! Talk about wishes come true, out of 141 entries, she was indeed randomly selected. Congratulations to . . . 

Dawn from Everyday Memories

Congrats Dawn! I'm so happy for you. Please send over your address and I'll get this right out.


On to our Next Poll:
You may notice that I'm gently steering you in the direction of new colors for us to play with. The options for Week 5 are . . .

Week 5: Artist's Choice
pollcode.com free polls 


Ready to Go?
I'm ever so looking forward to this one!

Kristin xo

62 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Congrats to Dawn who is quite lucky. I know she liked those colors a lot. Although I'm not into pink, I found a surprising amount of pink in my stash this week. Thanks again for hosting this increasingly popular summer event/indulgence.

Manav Singhi said...

Nice. . .

crafty mum said...

oooh would love to win this week what a gorgeous stash congratulations Dawn xxx

PaintingWrite said...

Yay, I've voted on this colour combo each week so far! I love your post this week and I am so grateful to you for the wonderful challenge and super give aways you provide for this creative community! X

dawn said...

Kristin, I'm doing a HAPPY DANCE THIS MORNING, FEELS LIKE CHRISTMAS IN JULY FOR ME NOW!!! I'm so excited to play with all these goodies in my favorite colors!! Thanks so much for the giveaways each week!! I'm not sure what the rules are here but if my name gets picked again please pass over and pick another name, THANKS!!

I am so excited about the community here also, lots of awesome talented ladies in this group. I love seeing all the different ideas that everyone makes each week, just in awe at all the talent.

Thanks Kristin for being such a great host and I'm so glad to have joined in this year. All week long these colors follow me everywhere I go, even after the week is over. While out shopping yesterday, the first two weeks colors where everywhere, love this!!

I'm super excited about this weeks colors too, my half bath was done in these colors last spring. Can't wait to make some cards in these pretty colors.

I love what you said about this being like a summer camp, that' it exactly!! Enjoy the last of your vacation.

Have a great week everyone!

Shahrul Niza said...

OMG, Kristin ... I have always played for fun, never hoped to win anything, until I saw this week's delicious prize!!. LOL. Thank you Kristin!.

CONGRATS, Dawn!!. I'm so happy for you!!

Sharon Fritchman said...

I can't wait to get started with this week's colors! GREAT BIG congrats to DAWN!!!! YAy!!!!!

Becs said...

Enjoy the rest of your holiday. I am loving this so much - such beautiful art out there and so many different media. So inspiring. Happy week. :)

Mary Ann Potter said...

Hooray, hooray
for pink and gray!

Zoe said...

Congrats Dawn!!

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to win this week's beautimous selection!!! It looks absolutely gorgeous!

I'm really enjoying this challenge Kristin, thanks :)

Mary Ann Potter said...

Done. I loved these colors!!!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Good morning, Kristin! I thoroughly enjoyed your over-coffee blog post here this morning! Thank you for another lovely week of color fun. Congrats to Dawn! woo! I LOVE charcoal gray and pink, so I grabbed my pink paper and drew in gray pencils to start with, as soon as I learned of this new color combo! hugs to you, Kath

Jez said...

These are the colours I was hoping would come up, so I'll have to try and think of an image to use them on.
Congratulations to Dawn on being the lucky winner.

Carmen said...

I've been voting this combo each week as it's out of my comfort zone and I admire it in other peoples work - looking at it now it's so pretty.

Another gorgeous prize this week, I love the shades of that paint! Congratulations for last week Dawn.

I'm still catching up on the creations but am so loving the diversity :)

Anonymous said...

Kristin, HELP!
I accidentally posted my link twice. Please remove #16. Thank you!
Melita

Janet said...

Here it is week four and I haven't participated as planned. Life threw me a curve ball and I've been mostly absent from Blogland. I'll try to do the rest of them though.

Annie Claxton said...

Very pretty combination of colours this week - and that quote is beautiful, I'm always saying that but not in such an elegant way! Thanks again Kristin for all your hard work and inspiration even when you're your holiday :o)xxx

joy said...

Loved creating with these pretty colors, Kristin! This has been so much fun and I hope I will be able to play along again next year!

Congratulations, Dawn!

peggy gatto said...

Playtime!!!
Summer is all about more playtime and This challenge fills the bill!

Unknown said...

Congrats to Dawn! I just ented my pink and grey card for this week. Thought I'd do better than waiting until the last day like yesterday!

Unknown said...

How strange. I linked. saw my name left my comment and now my name is gone and I'm not sure if I need to re-enter my info again.

Anonymous said...

hanks for this challenge(I just joined for week 3). I decided to raid my fabric stash for week 4 and now want to go back and do the previous weeks, as well as the future weeks.
This week's giveaway looks fab.

Chandra Merod said...

This is really a lot of fun! Thanks for hosting it :)
<3, Chandra

dawn said...

Thanks everyone for your congrats wishes!! I was so happy and surprised to see my name there. Still smiling this morning and is brighten up my days which are cloudy and cool at the moment.

Thanks again Kristin!!

JansArtyJunk said...

Congrats to Dawn :)
Now..this has to be one of my favourite colour combos so far this challenge...love a bit of PINK!! :) Have fun stitching this week! :)

Halle said...

I like these colors so much better!! Pink and grey are just made for each other. Having a blast with this. Wish I could make it around to everyone but the list is getting very large!!

Tammie Lee said...

so nice that you are on holiday. so generous that you still make time for us! wishing you days that feel wonderful to you!

Jez said...

When inspiration strikes, it is often best to follow the spark. If an idea comes to me and I then try to think of something better it never works. That's what happened with mine, and in following the original inspiration I was happy creating my efforts.
I'm looking forward to starting to visit everyone's posts to enjoy their lovely artwork.

GlorV1 said...

It's been a rough week so my doodle is just that, a doodle. The colors are off as well. Sorry about that. Congrats to the winner. Have a wonderful day. gloria

Unknown said...

Nice colour combination and I actually did mine in the right week!

K J D said...

Congratulations to Dawn :)

What a pretty combination to work with this week.... looking forward to it already.

Karen x

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for posting these fun fun challenges. This is exactly what I need, and the color combinations are just gorgeous!!! I am finally in on the fun!!!

Unknown said...

Congrats Dawn! I didn't think I'd like the gray and pink but everyone's work turned out so lovely. I'm a gray and pink lover now!

Kristin said...

Got mine done! Its four am though and I am exhausted so I'm hoping all my pictures and basic grammar turns out the way it should! :) I jsut couldn't stop until I got it up and posted! I can't wait to see everybodys, such amazing works so far!

Ariel said...

Congratulations Dawn for winning some great goodies.
Wonderful colors this week.Thank you Kristin for this challenge otherwise I would never have thought of creating with such lovely color combos. I love, love this week's gifts, especially the images of those vintage ladies.
Susan

Stitching Lady said...

http://anaslua2.blogspot.fr/2013/07/the-summer-of-colors-charcoal-pink.html
No thats me, Stitching Lady, with my combination of week four colors

dawn said...

I'm linked up and enjoyed playing with these pretty colors this week. Wishing for more time to play with them, too busy now with the holidays starting today. Happy with what I did get done though.

Thanks again Kristin for all you do to make this a fun summer for us. I'm so excited still about winning and I see some of my blog readers here all want to win this weeks' prize, crossing my fingers for all of you!!

Happy July 4th to you and your family. Have a great and safe day!

Now the fun starts and I can go blog hop and see what others made! I love this part!!

Tammy N said...

Such a fun challenge. Love being a part of it and seeing all the creative ideas.

bellefrogworks said...

I love this challenge - it motivates to step outside the box with color. Thanks Kristin for hosting - and congrats to Dawn

Deborah Weber said...

I'm so enjoying this Summer of Color - thanks for hosting and being such an inspiration.

Unknown said...

I voted and linked my blog. I am enjoying playing again this year.

Anonymous said...

pink and grey - I love this combination. Even though I did a totally different piece that I had in mind, I'm still loving it :)
The prize looks AMAZING to me... good luck to all of us!
Cheers,
Jana

cathy said...

I made a fun birthday card for this week's challenge.

Rhonda Halushka said...

These colors were a challenge for me! NOT a pale pink sort of person! LOL (well I don't use it much anyway)

AM Zafaran said...

I'm loving this so much...thank you, Kristin for this wonderful opportunity to discover and learn so much!

Denise said...

I love these two colors together,esp. in an outfit. It was fun to do,Thanks once more kristen. Denise

Dreaming of Vintage said...

I love these color combos! Thanks Kristin for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

Posted my link, this was a real challenge as they are so not my colours.

Denise Price said...

Thanks for another fun week! This week I have two things to share (both in the same post): a photo and a scrapbook page.

Anonymous said...

Nice stash of colors - would love to win - but just happy to have completed week 4 in time! Kristin, this is still crazy fun!!!

Kate said...

Yeah. I made it in time this week!

Becky Dunham said...

Finally got some time to create this week. Just a card, but I like the way it turned out. Loving all the gorgeous creations I am seeing this year! Makes me want to paint and do mixed media and all kinds of things, but life is a bit chaotic right now so I have to settle for a card which I needed to make for my SIL's birthday :)

Virginia said...

Oh I've had loads of fun with these muted colours this week hun! Loving all the different creations out there!

Sharon Fritchman said...

Ok, I linked my project yesterday, but forgot to leave a comment!!! I loved working with these colors this week, and want to thank everyone who left me such wonderful comments!!!

Martha said...

Kristin, thanks for a FUN challenge.
This is my first time to play along.

Annie Claxton said...

Well I struggled this week and it came out a bit unexpectedly, but hey, it was fun trying - thanks Kristin!

Carmen said...

MADE IT! Ooh another close one but I did love the colours!

Erin K said...

Woo, congrats to Dawn! Yayyy!! I didn't quite make it...lol...but I will finish though, too many things got in my way this week. I can't wait to see what the next colour combo's turn out to be.

How lovely that you're on vacation, hope you're having a great time. <3

Heather Henry said...

I'm super late, but better late than never. This is great fun though. Thanks!! :D

2amscrapper said...

I'm even later.....

Anonymous said...

Did some more fabric collages for this week plus 2 previous weeks. This has been a great colour study for me.

Anonymous said...

oops posted to wrong week.....